Sunday, November 8, 2009

Challenged

I can honestly say that up until this point in my life, I think that the "challenges" I've faced (social, physical, emotional) are things that I did not enjoy. I appreciate them, certainly, because they have helped to mold me into who I am and who I am becoming. I fully acknowledge that how we react to adversity is critical in who we become. But I can't really look back at any "real" (video games don't count) challenge that was fun...

So I am...interested to say that for perhaps the first time in my life, I have a serious challenge that I am enjoying. Jennifer and I have found a group of friends here in Columbus that we meet with once a week to read and discuss Scripture. Suffice it to say, this isn't a "everyone thinks pretty much the same thing and comes from roughly the same place" sort of group; EVERYONE is coming from a drastically different place from everyone else in the group. We don't all see God the same way; salvation the same way; Jesus the same way, living life the same way, money management the same way, etc. And I am falling in love with these people. And they often frustrate the snot out of me.

It's odd; it's not like I like the two here, and that one there; the rest I'm sort of indifferent towards. I really like each and every one. I'm growing to become more and more concerned, compassionate, and interested in who and what each of them are. And there are times I think "how in the world can you really think that??". And so I am worked over by God, to help me to see that people don't have to grow in faith just as I have grown; that God is willing to take the smallest part of your life that you are willing to offer up to Him, and use it, hoping that you will offer Him more. That it's okay, sometimes even good, to really care for and about someone, and to disagree.

And in the midst of this loving/frustrating relationship I have with these people, I realize that...I enjoy it. I am excited to see God change my heart, because it's not something that I think I alone have the capacity to do beyond a perfunctory level. It's REALLY exciting to God work on and with these people; active evidence that though they may do it differently, does not mean that they do it *wrong*. We are a fallen people, in need of grace far beyond our own ability to generate; and God (through His Son) is willing to meet us wherever, however, and in any fashion to start that conversation, and that transformation. It's good to be reminded that I don't have the responsibility (or power) to pick the right or wrong way to accepting and living in that grace; simply the responsibility to walk the right way as God leads me, and to be open, honest, and loving along the way.

1 comment:

paul said...

I would love to hear some of the issues you are struggling over. This is an amazing gift... this group.